What Tests Do I Need to Take?
Foundations of Reading Test
Beginning on January 31, 2014, candidates in Wisconsin applying for an initial teaching license in grades Kindergarten through 5 or special education, or for a license as a reading teacher or reading specialist, as listed below, will be required to take and pass the Foundations of Reading test, a test of reading instruction knowledge and skills administered by the Evaluation Systems group of Pearson.
- Early Childhood – Regular Education (70–777)
- Early Childhood – Special Education (70–809)
- Early Childhood – Middle Childhood (71–777)
- Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence (72–777)
- Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Cross Categorical (72–801)
- Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Specific Learning Disabilities (72–811)
- Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Emotional Behavioral Disabilities (72–830)
- Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Cognitive Disabilities (72–810)
- Early Adolescence – Adolescence Cross Categorical (73–801)
- Early Adolescence – Adolescence Specific Learning Disabilities (73–811)
- Early Adolescence – Adolescence Emotional Behavioral Disabilities (73–830)
- Early Adolescence – Adolescence Cognitive Disabilities (73–810)
- Early Childhood – Adolescence Visual Impairments (74–825)
- Reading Teacher (316)
- Reading Specialist (17)
This requirement is in addition to the current testing requirements as outlined on the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) website .
As of December 2010, Wisconsin educators who hold a valid Professional Educator, Master Educator, or Life License in social studies, science, English language arts, or mathematics/computer science are eligible to add on licensure in a related area based on passing a content test approved by the State Superintendent. The NES tests on this website have been approved for this purpose.
To apply for a license in this pathway, a Professional Educator must hold a valid Wisconsin Professional Educator License (License Type: 30, 31, 32, 33, 36, 40, 41, 42 or 43), Master Educator License (License Type: 50, 51 or 52) or Life License (License Type: 08) in the related subject area identified above.
For additional information and requirements, please read more on the Wisconsin DPI website, http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/license-based-on-a-content-test-pathway .