Skip to Content Skip to Menu
National Evaluation Series for Wisconsin

The registration, user account, and score reporting services on this website will be temporarily unavailable on Tuesday, April 25, between 7:45 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. eastern time, for system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

What Tests Do I Need to Take?

Foundations of Reading Test

Beginning on January 31, 2014, candidates in Wisconsin applying for an initial teaching license in grades Kindergarten through 5 or special education, or for a license as a reading teacher or reading specialist, as listed below, will be required to take and pass the Foundations of Reading test, a test of reading instruction knowledge and skills administered by the Evaluation Systems group of Pearson.

  • Early Childhood – Regular Education (70–777)
  • Early Childhood – Special Education (70–809)
  • Early Childhood – Middle Childhood (71–777)
  • Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence (72–777)
  • Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Cross Categorical (72–801)
  • Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Specific Learning Disabilities (72–811)
  • Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Emotional Behavioral Disabilities (72–830)
  • Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence Cognitive Disabilities (72–810)
  • Early Adolescence – Adolescence Cross Categorical (73–801)
  • Early Adolescence – Adolescence Specific Learning Disabilities (73–811)
  • Early Adolescence – Adolescence Emotional Behavioral Disabilities (73–830)
  • Early Adolescence – Adolescence Cognitive Disabilities (73–810)
  • Early Childhood – Adolescence Visual Impairments (74–825)
  • Reading Teacher (316)
  • Reading Specialist (17)

This requirement is in addition to the current testing requirements as outlined on the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) website link opens in a new window.

NES Tests

As of December 2010, Wisconsin educators who hold a valid Professional Educator, Master Educator, or Life License in social studies, science, English language arts, or mathematics/computer science are eligible to add on licensure in a related area based on passing a content test approved by the State Superintendent. The NES tests on this website have been approved for this purpose.

To apply for a license in this pathway, a Professional Educator must hold a valid Wisconsin Professional Educator License (License Type: 30, 31, 32, 33, 36, 40, 41, 42, or 43), Master Educator License (License Type: 50, 51, or 52) or Life License (License Type: 08) in the related subject area identified above.

For additional information and requirements, please read more on the Wisconsin DPI website, Link opens in a new window..